The Wheel for March 1, 2018
Listen to Brian Gordon, CPA/ABV, Principal – Applied Analysis
Brian Gordon, CPA/ABV, Principal – Applied Analysis
Message From The President
For many years, our club has worked with Principal Katie Decker to improve educational outcomes for youth in some of our valley’s most economically distressed areas.
Katie has risen to the challenge and students from Walter Bracken STEAM Academy consistently make above average year-over-year academic improvements as well as rate above average on standardized tests. Katie’s leadership did not go unnoticed and she was one of the first principals in CCSD to be entrusted with a new franchising assignment. This model gives proven principals the flexibility to lead
multiple campuses concurrently while focusing on results. So, Katie is now leading at both the Walter Long and Howard Hollingsworth locations.
With our club’s focus on youth literacy, we enthusiastically supported Katie’s new role(s). During PP Dave Thorson’s year, our club partnered with PP Tom Thomas and the Greater Good Council on a project to provide wireless Internet access surrounding the school so that children could complete their homework assignments. Due to our club’s participation in this community-altering project, a snowball effect started that we could not have foreseen.
PP Tom’s brother, Dr. Steve Thomas, heard about our club’s endeavor and he decided to visit Hollingsworth and meet with Katie. Based on that meeting, Steve’s family decided to redo the entire playground area and called on their friends at PAR 3 Landscaping to help. The new playground will have 30,000 sq. ft. of new artificial turf, 10 raised planters for the kids “farm to market to table” program, a new running track with an enduraflex surface, 29 large shade trees and 60 tons of rock mulch to redo all of the existing planters along with new paint, concrete, and plants. This will mean that Hollingsworth will have one of the newest and nicest playgrounds in Las Vegas.
“Amazing how one good act begets another” – PP Tom Thomas
Rotary Club of Las Vegas
Scribe – December 21, 2017
Las Vegas Rotary Club Meeting: February 22, 2018
- President Michael Gordon called the meeting to order. PP MaryAnn Avnet gave the invocation. Arleen Sirois led the club in singing God Bless America and the Pledge of Allegiance. The Sergeant at Arms was Mike Cudiamat.
- There were (2) International Rotarians, (3) visiting Rotarian and (6) Guests of Rotarians introduced. President Michael introduced his guests Teresa Petranovich, Jamie Goldsmith, and Tyler Wistisen.
- PP Karen Whisenhunt thanked the host families and spectators for their support of the German soccer players during the Mayor’s cup.
- Fellowship Director Jaime Goldsmith provided the club with an overview of the variety of fellowship events that the club has participated in this year as well as ones to come.
- PP Dave Thorson introduced Ret. Deputy Chief Al Salinas who provided a brief presentation on Chapter IV After the Badge club whose mission is to raise awareness of those who died in the line of duty and raise funds for the National Law Enforcement Museum in Washington D.C.
- 4-Way Test Coin was presented to Kirk Alexander by President Michael for going above and beyond his service duties in the club. Kirk is also our club’s Foundation member of the year!
- Jaime Goldsmith stated SOAR committee meetings are held at noon every 3 rd Wed. at Tommy Rockers.
- PP Brock Fraser served as MC during the 4 Way Test Speech Contest where the club listened to 6-8 minutes speeches from 4 high school student contestants. The judges deliberated while club announcements were heard.
- PE Jim Kohl reminded the club of the upcoming Car Show on April 15th and announced that Craig Miller and Morgan Stanley have signed up to be the official sponsors. Additional sponsorships are still available.
- President Michael reminded the club to sign up for the 95th anniversary party on April 5th
- David Squier reminded the club of the upcoming Highway Cleanup scheduled March 24th at 8 am across from Bonnie Springs with brunch to follow at Jerry Sennes’ home.
- President Michael reminded the club of the Cigar Fellowship to be held on March 16th.
- PEE Jackie Thornhill announced the 3 rd quarter Wetzel awards out at Nellis AFB, March 8th
- Janice Lencke reminded the club of the Wine to Water event that will be held on February 24th
- President Michael fined Lamar Marchese $95 who invited club members to his gallery show at the Sahara West Library tonight. The show will be up until the end of April.
- The drawing began at $680 plus this week’s donations. Ticket winner, PP Jim Hunt, did not draw the joker received a $10 consolation prize. Lawry’s Bucks Winner was Bill Houghton.
- Visiting International Rotarian from the Calgary club, Walter briefed the club on the Cambodia and Nicaragua projects in which our club participates.
- President Michael announced that the Rotarian Magazine will soon publish an article about the club.
- President Michael fined Jason Buckley $95 for the expansion of his IT company, Jasco Technology LLC.
- Francesca Gilbert attempted to fine President Michael $95 for running the Saints and Sinners 1/2 Marathon last weekend.
- 25 Club President Kirk Holmes provided an overview of the Club within a Club’s function.
- PP Brock Fraser introduced the three 4 Way Test Speech Contest judges: George Gilbert, Al Jensen, and Fredrick Shelton. Judges announced the winners. Fourth place – Morgan Ebbers, Third place – Rochelle Flores, Second place – Alexander Pikes, and the First place winner- Natalie Gilbert (will go on to compete at the district level). President Michael adjourned the meeting.