The Wheel for January 14, 2021
Listen to Mayor Debra March – City of Henderson
Mayor Debra March – City of Henderson
Message From The President
Last Saturday, January 9th, our District held a “President’s Advance” training session for club presidents, president elects, and president elect-elects. This year membership committee chairs were invited, as well, in keeping with RI’s emphasis on membership satisfaction. I am proud to tell you that our club was the best represented, and on most discussion topics the most enthusiastically engaged, of all the clubs in our district. I am proud to report that to you not because we won a prize or an award for our participation, but because we were able to demonstrate to other Rotarian club leaders who are struggling to make headway during this challenging time that there are ways to power through most challenges.
One of the exciting things that came out during the discussions was the shared desire of clubs in Southern Nevada to put together more joint events. Our club has benefitted from other clubs participating in Santa Clothes, we are working together with other local clubs on food deliveries each month, and if conditions improve enough to permit a large outdoor assembly, we may have a picnic this spring or summer where Rotarians from clubs in Southern Nevada will have an opportunity to enjoy Rotary fellowship together.
In the world of aviation, it is common to hear people say, ‘a positive attitude determines your altitude’. Please don’t think that I am suggesting that we have to walk around with our noses pointed toward the sky to reach our goals, but a positive attitude will get us much farther than a depressed one will, as last week’s President’s Advance meeting clearly demonstrated.
Las Vegas Rotary Club
Scribe – January 7, 2021
Scribe – January 7, 2021
- President Richard Jost called the meeting to order.
- Tina Bishop gave the invocation.
- President Richard Jost led the club in a Christmas Blessing slide show by Bill Stieren, followed by the Pledge of Allegiance.
- Michael Mewborn served as the Sergeant At Arms.
- We had six guests of rotarians. Membership committee members Rosalee Hedrick and Toni Kern introduced three prospective members.
- President Richard Jost showed a news clip from Fox 5 featuring Jim Hunt promoting our wheelchair program in conjunction with the Wheelchair Foundation. President Richard Jost has declared that Jim Hunt will never be fined again for his promotion of the Rotary Club on the news clip in which he wore a Rotary mask, Rotary hat, and placed a Las Vegas Rotary sticker on the wheelchair.
- The club recognized our birthday table and members on Zoom with birthdays. Jerry Engel stole the show with his comic routine.
- The membership committee members Rosalee Hedrick and Toni Kern inducted our first new member of 2021, Aris Lazarou. Aris is with Mastroianni Fashions and was joined by his brother and father for the ceremony.
- The raffle ticket winner was Brock Fraser who received a prize of $10, and the Lawry’s Bucks winner was Krista Nicholas.
- Tom Thomas introduced our Speaker, Ciara Byrne, CEO of Green Our Planet. Green Our Planet is a Las Vegas-based nonprofit conservation organization that runs the largest school garden program in America. She shared information on the mission and purpose of the organization and its offerings, including the Outdoor Garden Classroom Program, the Hydroponics Program, and the Virtual Academy.
- President Richard Jost then adjourned the meeting.