The Wheel for June 29, 2017
Club Assembly – 2016-2017 Year in Review
Segment 1 – Membership Report
12:45 – 12:50 pm Deb Granda Membership Briefing
Segment 2 – Community Service
12:50 – 12:55 pm Dave Lester Local Community Service
12:50 – 12:55 pm Kirk Alexander Youth and Vocational Service
12:55 – 1:00 pm Melanie Muldowney International Service
1:00 – 1:05pm Carolyn Sparks Rotary International Foundation Report
Segment 3 – How did we promote all of this?
1:05 – 1:10pm Rob Telles Public Relations Report
Segment 4 – How did we fund raise?
1:10 – 1:15 pm Janice Lencke Car Show
1:15 – 1:20 pm Larry Rouse Las Vegas Rotary Foundation Report
Segment 5 – How did we celebrate success?
1:20 – 1:25 pm Anil Melnick Fellowship Activities
Segment 6 – President’s Farewell
1:25 – 1:30pm David Thorson
Message From The President
For my final President’s Message, I want to thank each and every one of you for making this last year such an incredibly memorable experience for me! It has truly been an honor to represent such an amazing collection of community leaders.
To highlight just how outstanding our Club really is, this week’s Wheel is dedicated to providing an annual report of some of the highlights of this year.
I am looking forward to another great year in 2017-2018 under the leadership of Michael Gordon! Today is National “That’s All Folks” Day!
President 2016 -2017
Las Vegas Rotary Club
Scribe – June 15, 2017
- President David Thorson called the meeting to order.
- Jaime Goldsmith gave the invocation. Sidra Kain led the club in singing the “God Bless America.” The Pledge of Allegiance was recited and the Sergeant-at-Arms was Past President Russ Swain.
- There were (0) International Rotarian, (3) Visiting Rotarians, and (8) Guests of Rotarians that were introduced.
- The drawing began at $8,730.00 plus this week’s donations. The winner gets half the pot and half goes to the Las Vegas Rotary Foundation. Ticket Winner: John Ingeme who won $10! Lawry Bucks Winner: Pete Samoulis.
- President Elect-Elect Ed Lepare announced that due to a change in his work requirements he needed to step down from the PEE Role. President David Thorson announced that Jim Kohl had been selected as the new President-Elect-Elect to serve as President in the 2018-2019 Rotary year.
- Past President Karen Whisenhunt gave an overview of the Cambodian infrastructure development program and the water and sanitation project in Uganda, both of which our club supported with grants several years ago.
- Carolyn Sparks presented the following members with their Paul Harris Fellow pins; President Elect Michael Gordon, Sarah Brown, Deb Granda and Carolyn Sparks.
- Deb Granda announced that former Beckley Principal Jean Please was recently inducted into the club over the phone and that she will join our meetings when she finishes with some treatments in a few months.
- Deb Granda inducted new members Anna Karabachev and Toni Kern.
- Deb Granda announced that a New Member Orientation will be held at Deb’s home on June 27, 2017 at 6pm.
- Glenn Meier presented the following service members with their Wetzel Award; Sr. Airman Hector Garcia, Sr. Airman Leroy White, Staff Sgt. Craig Maxin, Sr. Airman Azaria Bryant, and Airman 1st Class Seagraves.
- Jim Kohl announced that the Jr. Golf’s American Jr. Cup for Women will be July 30 August 3, 2017 and they need people to volunteer to house players.
- Past President Ginger Anderson reminded the club that President David Thorson’s debunking party will be held in the Antilles Ballroom at Treasure Island on June 22, 2017.
- Erik Astramecki announced that the Alpine Picnic will be held at Past President Tom Thomas’s ranch on July 22, 2017.
- Past President Ginger Anderson announced that the Shakespeare Festival in Cedar City is going to be on August 25, 2017.
- President David Thorson introduced the speaker, James Garriss. James is an Historical Climatologist who studies volcanic activity, solar flares, jet strean and oceanic patterns in order to predict weather that will impact agriculture and world economies.
- President David Thorson presented the speaker with the Sole Power Award and adjourned the meeting.