The Wheel for June 1, 2017
Tifferney White – Discovery Children’s Museum
Tifferney White has spent her 20 plus year career supporting or leading science & technology centers and children’s museums. Today, she is highly regarded due to her unwavering commitment to the mission of DISCOVERY Children’s Museum. She demonstrates exemplary leadership and possesses a deep and technical expertise in operations, education, programs, and exhibits. Her adeptness in cultivating community partners has elevated the presence of the Museum and promoted it as a “go-to” educational resource for Southern Nevada and its diverse community.
She joined the Museum in 2007 as the Director of Programs and Education, promoted to Deputy Director in 2009, and most recently served as Interim CEO before officially being named President and CEO in 2015. Prior, she was the Director of Community Outreach – Science Reach and Science Clubs, for Discovery Place Inc., in Charlotte, North Carolina.
White is currently working on her Executive MBA at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas. She holds a Bachelor of Science in Chemistry, and a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology from Johnson C. Smith University in Charlotte, North Carolina.
White is a member of several community service organizations, including Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. and the Junior League of Las Vegas to name a few. She has demonstrated her commitment to serving her community by her active and hands-on work within various community service organizations in diverse roles from president to a committee member.
White lives in Las Vegas, Nevada. She enjoys spending time with family and friends and loves to travel especially to new places. One of her favorite quotes is “Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth” – Muhammad Ali.
Message From The President
Holy cow! It’s June already! As wind down to the end of this Rotary year, our Club is not resting on its laurels! We still have a couple of social events planned and we are finalizing our various local and international grants. You will get a full accounting of all our service this year at our Club Assembly on June 29th.
We are still talking with some great new prospective members and our momentum towards reaching our $2 million goal for the Las Vegas Rotary Foundation endowment fund continues apace!
My appeal to you as outgoing President is for each of you to look at your charitable budgets to see if you can find room to make one extra contribution toward our $2 million goal this Rotary year. It is hard to overstate the power the endowment fund has in supporting our annual community service activities and in providing a stable platform for our Club in general.
As the great Dr. Seuss said:
How did it get so late so soon?
Its night before its afternoon.
December is here before its June.
My goodness how the time has flewn.
How did it get so late so soon?
President 2016 -2017
Las Vegas Rotary Club
Scribe – May 25, 2017
- Bracken Elementary School Kideract President Kylee called the meeting to order and eloquently provided the Club with information on the Kideract program and thanked our Club for our support.
- Members of the Kideract Club gave the invocation and led the club in singing the “God Bless the USA” The Pledge of Allegiance was recited and the Kideract Club provided the Sergeant-at-Arms.
- There were (1) International Rotarians, (1) Visiting Rotarians and (5) Guests of Rotarians were introduced.
- The drawing began at $7,741.00 plus this week’s donations. The winner gets half the pot and half goes to the Las Vegas Rotary Foundation. Ticket Winner: Brock Fraser who won $10! Lawry Bucks Winner: Lamar Marchese.
- President David Thorson introduced the Kideract members and thanked them for their service.
- President David Thorson presented May’s 4-Way Test Coin Award to Kirk Alexander for his great work on our Youth and Vocational Programs, District leadership at RYLA and his work on the Corazon Superbuild project.
- President David Thorson recognized Larry Tomsic and John Ingeme for the District Foundation Member of the Year Awards they were awarded at District Conference.
- Deb Granda provided an overview of the 9 awards our Club received at District Conference and each Board Chair or other key members in each area were recognized.
- Carolyn Sparks awarded Past President Ginger Anderson and President David Thorson with new Paul Harris level recognition.
- Deb Granda inducted new member Luciana Parodi.
- Linda Bertuzzi from the Downtown Rotary Club read a moving letter she received from a recently departed member of the North Las Vegas Club which described how Santa Clothes was his Rotary moment.
- President David Thorson presented Santa Clothes Chair and Past President Jim Hunt with a check for $200 donated by friends of President David to kick-off the Santa Clothes giving for 2017.
- Jim Kohl presented Home Aid of Southern Nevada with a grant check for $5,000.
- Las Vegas Rotary President Tom Thomas and Julie Murray described the work the Greater Good Council is doing at Hollingsworth ES and President Elect Michael Gordon presented Katie Decker with a check for $18,000 to round off the $125,000 raise the GCC was doing to support Katie’s efforts.
- Katie Decker provided the Club with an overview of progress at Hollingsworth and thanked the Club for our support.
- Lamar Marchese announced that he is being considered for the honor of having an Elementary School named after him. He asked for our support in voting for him. Links can be found on our Club Facebook page.
- Tim Mullin introduced Major General Glen VanHerck from the USAF Weapon Center at Nellis AFB who discussed the importance of Nellis to the Nation’s Security and thanked our Club for our support of the airmen at Nellis.
- Kideract President Kylee presented the speaker with the Sole Power Award and adjourned the meeting.