The Wheel for June 21, 2018
Listen to the Club Assembly
Message From The President
Thank you to all for making 2017-18 another successful year for the Las Vegas Rotary Club. Our weekly meetings serve as our “showcase” to the world and all members helped to put our club in the best possible light. However, there were some members who served week in and week out. For their unique and individual contributions, I’d like to sincerely thank:
- Marie Walsh & John Ingeme who smoothly ran the weekly raffle sales
- Sidra Kain who served as the Speakers chair
- Toni Kern, Jaime Goldsmith and Janelle Lozano who served as the weekly Scribe
- Jeni Houghton, the editor of our weekly Wheel
- Becca Roberts for updating our website and podcast on a weekly basis
Rotary Club of Las Vegas
Scribe – June 14, 2018
Las Vegas Rotary Club Meeting: June 14, 2018
- President Michael Gordon called the meeting to order. Kirk Alexander gave the invocation. Jaime Goldsmith led the club in singing The US Air Force Song, followed by the Pledge of Allegiance. The Sergeant at Arms was Jaime Goldsmith.
- There were (0) International Rotarians, (1) visiting Rotarians and (8) Guests of Rotarians introduced.
- PEE Jackie Thornhill introduced the Wetzel Award recipients: SSgt Aristides K. Salvatierra, SSgt Lee R. Devore, SSgt Michael D. Kephart, and A1C Sierra Anderson and Amn Desmond K Njafuh, noting this is the 15th year of the Wetzel Awards by our club.
- Janet Linder and Rosalee Hedrick inducted another new member, Tom Wolfinger. Welcome, Tom!
- Kim Nyoni introduced Michelle Paul of the UNLV Mental Health Clinic, The Practice, who was presented, by President Michael, with a check of $4,000, reflecting the balance (excess) from the 1 October monies collected/raised by our club.
- Announcements/Reminders: President Michael asked for a moment of silence on the passing of PP David Welles (LVRC President 1976-77) and read an in memoriam of him; PEE Jackie Thornhill reminded members the PHF matching points expire in 2 weeks; David Squier announced another successful highway clean up on 6/9 and the ‘extravaganza’ post clean up brunch at Jerry Sennes’ home; Luci Parodi reminded members the Alpine Picnic is scheduled for 7/21 at Bob Werner’s mountain cabin retreat and members are asked to volunteer for a picnic preparation ‘clean up’ on 7/14; PP Dave Thorson reminded members the debunking party is set for 6/28, ‘Safari casual’; President Michael reminded members prime rib will be on the menu for our 6/21 Club.
- The weekly drawing began at $651 plus this week’s donations. The Ticket Winner was Mike Cudiamat who picked the four of spades and won $10 and the Lawry’s Bucks Winner was PP Sharon McNair.
- Ted McAdam introduced our speaker program, Dan Russell, CEO of Russell Insurance. Mr. Russell provided personal background and interesting detail, including photos, leading up to his ‘unexpected visit to India’. Mr. Russell took the club through the chance meeting via email of a Pastor in India, into a visit to a little town in India, appearing at a Gospel Festival, to the many ways of changing the lives of (as Mr. Russell referred to them) the ‘slum children’ and ‘slum Pastors’ providing bicycles to the Pastors and so many other ways of giving to the children, providing encouragement and support, consistent with his Boy Scout leadership days and the theme of our Rotary Club.
- President Michael presented our speaker with a “Share What You Can” award to benefit a veteran in need and then adjourned the meeting.