The Wheel for June 20, 2019
Listen to Club Assembly
Message From The President
Tomorrow is the first summer solstice of the year. I’ll bet you thought that was a typo. It isn’t. Past President Michael Gordon can tell you that the next summer solstice will be on December 22, 2019. It is serendipitous that we get to celebrate on one of the longest days of the year. We are celebrating the end of the Rotary year with a Club Assembly which as you will see, highlights all the projects and social events we participated in this year. Most of you are also celebrating that you don’t have to listen to me anymore. We are celebrating another great year. Why? Not because of me. Rather, it is because this year’s Board of Directors and 25 Club did a wonderful job. We are also celebrating because our members care about the projects that we do and turned out in force to support our events.
When I was at Presidents Elect Training, the most important thing I learned is that each Rotary club will tell their president what they want to be. It incumbent on the presidents to listen to their clubs and make sure that the projects and events scheduled by their clubs reflect what the members want their clubs to be. You told us, and the Board of directors, the 25 Club and Shawn Noorda did a fantastic job of scheduling the events that you asked for. They scheduled some fun new ones that I hope we do again. Shawn, the Board of Directors and the 25 Club deserve our thanks for another great year filled with fun and fellowship.
At our next lunch meeting, President Jackie will be running the Club. I wish her all the luck in the world and I encourage all of you to show her the warmth and love that I felt from you this year. I am truly grateful for it. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for letting me serve as the 96th President of the best rotary club in the world!James A. Kohl 95th President Rotary Club of Las Vegas
Scribe – June 13, 2019
Las Vegas Rotary Club Meeting: June 13, 2019
President Jim Kohl convened the meeting at 12:20pm:
- Lamar Marchese gave the invocation and bid the club farewell before he and his wife move closer to their grandchildren next week;
- Ben Klink served as the song leader;
- Past President Steve Linder was the Sergeant-at-Arms;
- Five guests of Rotarians were introduced;
- Jimmelle Siarot announced the upcoming Alpine Picnic scheduled for July 27 from 11:00-4:00 at Tom Thomas’ cabin in Lee Canyon. They are looking for grilling volunteers;
- Jamie Goldsmith announced the upcoming SOAR on Monday, September 16 at 8:00am at Las Vegas City Hall;
- Past President Dave Thorson made announcements regarding the Wetzel Awards that will take place on June 19 at Nellis AFB and regarding donations and attendance to the June 24th Aviators Game sponsoring National Guardsmen;
- President-Elect Jackie Thornhill gave a reminder on the availability of Club matching points for members who want to become Paul Harris Fellows or upgrade their Paul Harris Status;
- Carey Grohs announced the next 25Club Go Kart Social to be held on June 28 at Pole Position Raceway Vegas at 5:30pm;
- Rosealee Hendrick announced the New Member Orientation to be held on Tuesday, June 18 from 6:00-8:30pm;
- Jerry Sennes announced Bonny Springs Highway Cleanup with brunch to follow on June 15 at 8:00am;
- Past President and Assistant District Governor Michael Gordon reminded the Club of the upcoming Debunking of President Jim Kohl on June 27, 2019;
- Guest Speaker Past President David Thorson provided an overview of the United Service Organizations, Inc. (USO) for which he is the current Center Director in Las Vegas. There are four physical centers in the community, two located at the McCarran International Airport and new installations on Nellis AFB and Creech AFB. The USO has focused programs to serve men and women in the U.S. military and their families throughout their service years and as they transition from military to civilian life. The USO is supported by the efficient use of grants, donations, and enormous amounts of generous volunteer work.
- President Jim Kohl adjourned the meeting at 1:30pm.