The Wheel for June 13, 2019
Listen to David Thorson – The USO – The Force Behind the Forces
David Thorson – The USO – The Force Behind the Forces
David is currently the Center Director for the USO in Las Vegas where he is responsible for four USO Centers, development activities and a Pathfinder team that assists active duty military transition to civilian employment. He also serves on the board of directors for Nevada Trust Company and Trustar Corporation. He held management and executive roles at Ford Motor Company and Hewlett-Packard, respectively, as well as executive roles at three technology start-up companies in operations, finance, marketing and sales. Throughout his career he has lived or worked in 7 different countries.
MBA from Escuela Superior de Administración y Dirección de Empresas (Barcelona, Spain); Master of International Management from the Thunderbird School of Global Management (Glendale, AZ); Bachelor of Science in Finance and Economics, University of Arizona (Tucson, AZ).
David is a Past President of the Las Vegas Rotary Club and past Assistant District Governor for Rotary District 5300.
Message From The President
Today we welcome Past President Dave Thorson as our speaker. Dave is the Center Director of the USO that is located in McCarran International Airport. USO is short for United Service Organizations, Inc. According to its website, the USO provides support to service members and their families through programs focused on connection, strengthening, wellness and resiliency.
The USO was formed in 1941 after Franklin D. Roosevelt requested that something be done to help the U.S. troops.The USO was originally formed to provide entertainment to the U.S. troops who were fighting in World War II. The goal was to provide U.S. troops with a slice of home, so that they could remember what they were fighting for and what was waiting for them when they got home.
Through the years numerous celebrities have donated their time and risked their safety to entertain our troops while serving on foreign soil. Although it disbanded for a period after World War II, the USO has been in continual operation since the Korean war.As we will learn from PP Dave, the USO’s scope of services has greatly expanded from providing entertainment to our troops. Many thanks to PP Dave for the help and services he and the USO provides to our troops.
Rotary Club of Las Vegas
Scribe – June 6, 2019
.Las Vegas Rotary Club Meeting: June 6, 2019
President Jim Kohl convened the meeting at 12:20pm:
- Andy Kuniuki gave the invocation;
- Past President Steve Linder served as the song leader;
- Deb Granda was the Sergeant-at-Arms;
- There were 8 visiting Rotarians, one from Lawrence Kansas and seven from the Las Vegas Rotary After Hours Club;
- Five guests of Rotarians attended the meeting;
- Staca Sadie, the new principal of Hollingsworth Elementary School along with her assistant principal Mia Nelson where also present at the meeting;
- Our guest speaker Greg Britton and Kirk Holmes joined President Jim at the head table;
- Three Rotarians celebrated birthdays this month, Janice Lehnke, Past President Tom Krob, and Howie Hopkinson;
- President Elect Richard Jost presented a check for $1,500 from the Las Vegas Rotary Club Foundation to Staca Sade, the new principal of Hollingsworth Elementary School, to fund the purchase of Apple TV devices to be used for instructional purposes;
- Janice Lenke provided a recap of the Cuisine & Octane annual fundraiser and presented a check for $1,500 to Spread the Word Nevada, the beneficiary of the fundraiser. Lisa Habbingost and Pam Lang, founders of Spread the Word Nevada were present to receive the check;
- Past President and Assistant District Governor Michael Gordon officially welcomed into Rotary the Las Vegas Rotary After Hour Club, presented a flag to the Club’s President Rob Beck;
- Rob Beck, President of Las Vegas Rotary After Hours Club announced the Club’s Charter party that will take place on July 12;
- New member Michelle Roy, sponsored by Kirk Holmes, was inducted into the Club;
- Past President Dave Thorson made an announcement on the Wetzel Awards that will take place on June 19 at Nellis AFB;
- Past President and Assistant District Governor Michael Gordon gave a reminder on the availability of Club matching points for members who want to become Paul Harris Fellows or upgrade their Paul Harris status. ADG Gordon also reminded the Club of the upcoming Debunking of President Jim Kohl on June 27, 2019;
- Jamie Goldsmith announced the upcoming SOAR on Monday, September 16, at 8:00am at Las Vegas City Hall;
- Guest speaker Greg Britton gave a presentation on AFWERX. AFWERX is a United States Air Force program with the goal of fostering a culture of innovation within the service. Encompassing a number of programs supported with relatively small amounts of funding, the initiative is intended to circumvent bureaucracy and engage new entrepreneurs in Air Force programs;
- President Jim Kohl adjourned the meeting at 1:30pm;