The Wheel for April 1, 2021
Listen to Karla Perez – Universal Health Group VP
Karla Perez – Universal Health Group VP
Karla graduated from the University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee with a B.S. degree in Health Records Administration. In 1992, she was honored by the University with the “Graduate of the Decade” Award and in May, 2010, she received the Distinguished Alumni Award. In 1992, she also received her Masters Degree in Healthcare Administration from the University of St. Francis. In 2008, she was honored with the Professional Achievement Award from the University of St. Francis Alumni Association.
Message From The President
As you have probably heard, Rotary International has voted to disband after more than a century of service above self. According to a spokesperson for the current Board of Directors, the double whammy of the recent Great Recession, followed by the economic pain resulting from the Covid-19 shutdowns around the globe has forced Rotary to dissolve.
In reaching this difficult decision the Board determined to distribute all funds on hand in the following way. One half of all money in accounts belonging to Rotary International, including in the Rotary International Foundation, will be gifted to organizations dedicated to eradicating the polio virus. The balance will be returned to members of Rotary in proportion to the number of community and international service hours that they have recorded in the most recent twenty years.
Our club has started to develop a list of members and service hours, and it appears we will have many members in line to receive well over $1,000,000.00 in U.S. dollars. Shawn Noorda advises that she is hard at work on that list, but if any member wants to speed up her efforts by helping her get to meetings faster in a new Corvette, bright red preferably, got for it.
In case you have not figured it out by now, Happy April Fool’s Day!
Las Vegas Rotary Club
Scribe – March 25, 2021
- President Richard Jost called the meeting to order.
- Andrew Moran provided the invocation.
- Stu Lipoff led the club with a with a Romanian children’s choir singing “We are the World, We are the Children”.
- The Sergeant at Arms was Bhavan Singh.
- President Richard Jost thanked the members who performed meeting duties.
- PP Jim Tucker performed paparazzi duties.
- There were (0) International Rotarians, (1) visiting Rotarian, Buff Write, President of the Claremont Rotary (CA) and four prospective members visiting the club.
- The drawing began at $500 plus this week’s donations, PP Jim Hunt drew the Queen of Hearts for $10 and in a repeat performance, the Lawry’s Bucks Winner was Joan Murdock.
- Rose Falocco announced the next 25 Club meeting will be hosted at Jerry Engels home on April 1 at 6 PM. The April first party will be “potluck” and a raffle will take place to kick start the 25 Club’s community service project – a canned food drive to replenish the Salvation Army’s community pantry. Please feel free to contribute a raffle item. Contact Rose Falocco.
- Tina Bishop was pleased to announce that twenty (20) Rotarians and guests attended the Wine Tasting event and raised $180 for the Las Vegas Rotary Foundation grants fund.
- PP Jacqueline Thornhill announced a debunking party meeting to take place immediately following today’s club meeting in the Vintage Room. Volunteers are needed and welcome to add their talents to the event.
- John Williams provided an update from the Wheelchair Foundation. The social media is working and they are receiving lots of emails and getting involved in delivering lunches. He applauded PP Jim Hunt and PP Russ Swain for exemplary service delivering multiple wheelchairs. PP Jim Hunt reported they exceeded delivering 75 wheelchairs which is a milestone.
- Las Vegas Rotary Club Director, Kim Nyoni introduced our speaker UNLV President, Dr. Keith E Whitfield, Ph.D. Whitfield’s bio is provided in The Wheel.
- Before he lowered the gavel for the afternoon, President Richard Jost plugged Rotary pins, hats, and license plates and adjourned the meeting.